Fishing is full of comedy, from casting fails to exaggerating about the “big one that got away”. This post contains 100 of the best fishing jokes that will have you hooked on the hilarity. From groan-worthy puns to funny fishing memes, these jokes cover tackle boxes, fishing gear, types of fish, and more.
So whether you’re a casual angler or dedicated fisherman, get ready to laugh out loud at these jokes. The laughs are sure to come in tiers, so perch up and dive into these fishing quips!
What Makes Fishing So Funny?
There are a few reasons why fishing humor reels people in:
- Exaggerated stories – fishermen are notorious for tale-telling.
- Special gear – lots of opportunity for tacky product jokes.
- Patience involved – allows time for joke telling!
- Fishy pun potential – bass, trout, tackle, etc.
- Simply being out in nature – a relaxing, humor-inducing setting.
Now that the scene is set, let’s bait these jokes!
Top 10 Funniest Fishing Jokes
Let’s start off with 10 of the best short fishing jokes:
- Why do fish live in salt water? Because pepper makes them sneeze!
- What do you call a fish that makes music? A drum fish!
- I took my new girlfriend out on a fishing trip, but she just complained non-stop about worms. She’s clearly not a keeper!
- What do you call a big fish who makes you an offer you can’t refuse? The Codfather!
- Why is fishing just like math? You add the fishing pole, subtract the bait, divide the fish, and multiply by zero.
- What do you call a psychic midget that escaped from prison? A small medium at large.
- I was hoping for a career as a fisherman, but couldn’t live on my net income.
- What do you get when you cross a salmon with lightning? An electric eel!
- What do you call a lazy fish? A slackerel!
- Where do fish keep their money? In the river bank!
Fishing Knock Knock Jokes
Knock-knock jokes work perfectly with fishy jokes. Here are some prime examples:
Knock knock! Who’s there? Fish. Fish who? Fish you were here to hear these jokes!
Knock knock! Who’s there? Halibut. Halibut who? Halibut I don’t actually have any new jokes to share?
Knock knock! Who’s there? Minnow. Minnow who?
Minnow a good fishing joke and you’ll be laughing!
Knock knock! Who’s there? Cole. Cole who? Cole-d fish, hot soup!
Knock knock! Who’s there? Sole.
Sole who? Sole me some new fishing gear while you’re out!
Funny Fishing Puns
Puns are a shorefire way to reel in laughs with fishing humor. Here are some groan-worthy puns:
- Fishermen tend to have great dad jokes – it’s in their jeans.
- Fishing boats don’t actually sail the seven c’s…just coastal waters!
- My friend got in trouble for taking a bass guitar fishing on a restricted lake. They had to confiscate his bass.
- I wanted to tell a joke about my fishing vest, but decided to keep it vest to myself.
- Why do herring travel in schools? They just naturally have lots of class!
- My friend’s tackle box smelled so bad I told him to organize his lures. He said, “I’m trying, but it’s so hard to keep all my bait in one place!”
- I entered a professional log rolling contest in Canada, but found I didn’t have enough lumber support.
- Why do fish make great bakers? They know how to scale recipes!
Hilarious Fishing Memes
Funny fishing memes and images also get the comedy bobber rising. Here are some favorites:
- The “Is This A Pigeon?” meme but with a fish
- Expanding Brain meme about bigger and bigger lures
- Arthur’s Fist meme saying “When someone else catches your favorite fishing spot”
- Distracted Boyfriend meme of a man looking at fishing gear
- Meme of kid saying “I just wanna go fishing for God’s sake!”
- Bugs Bunny saying “Our fish” in communist meme
- Meme of a fish in sunglasses with a quote about patience
- Grumpy Cat meme about getting no bites for hours
- Change My Mind meme that says “Wake up early for fishing”
Fishing Gear Jokes
Fishing gear like rods, reels, tackle and more provides lots of joke fodder:
- Why do fishing rods make bad jesters? They only know reel jokes!
- My fishing rod, reel and net were stolen and I reported them to the police. The officer said I could just replace them for a few bucks.
- Why was the fishing net exhausted when it got home? It was so drained from catching fish all day.
- What did one fishing rod say to the other fishing rod when it was time to leave? Hey, it’s been reel!
- My girlfriend asked why I need so many fishing poles. I told her “Variety is the spice of wife!”
- A retirement home was holding a talent show and my grandpa wanted to perform with his favorite fishing pole. But they wouldn’t let him because it contained age-restricted mature content!
- Why did the rookie fisherman keep tangling his line? He didn’t have enough experience with cast nets.
- I entered my fishing rod in a talent competition but it failed to reel the audience in.
Fishing and Food Jokes
Fishing and seafood dishes pair perfectly for comedy. Here are some funny food jokes:
- What’s a fisherman’s favorite food? Ancho-fishies!
- I was going to make paella for dinner, but couldn’t find the right prawns to pull it off.
- Why do fishermen make good dancers? They know how to catfish!
- My friend left her tuna fish sandwich on the boat all day. When she took a bite that night, she quickly realized it was no good.
- I entered my famous fish stew in the county fair cooking contest but lost. The judges said it was sub-plodding.
- Want to hear a joke about sushi? I would tell you one but it’s a little fishy!
- Why don’t oysters share their pearls? Because they’re shellfish!
- What do you get when you cross salmon with cream cheese? A fishy schmear!
FAQs About Fishing Humor
Here are answers to some common fishing joke questions:
Why are fish and fishing so frequently the subject of jokes?
The exaggerated stories and specialized gear of fishing makes it prone to silly jokes. And fish puns come easily with names like bass and trout.
What are the most popular fishing joke themes?
Jokes about fishing gear, funny fishing tales, made up fish names/puns, and general jokes about patience and exaggeration are most common.
When did fishing jokes become popular?
Fishing jokes arose in the early 1900s as leisure fishing became more common. Magazines like Field & Stream helped popularize humorous fishing tales.
Are fishing jokes mostly appreciated by men?
Historically yes, but fishing comedy has broad appeal and women anglers enjoy jokes just as much as their male counterparts.
Where can I find more fishing jokes?
Instagram and Facebook offer lots of fishing meme accounts. Subreddits like r/Fishingmemes have steady jokes too. Fishing magazines often feature humor columns.
Don’t Forget the Bait!
Well there’s your daily catch – 100 hilarious fishing jokes that are sure to reel in big laughs! From corny puns to funny memes, these fishy jokes cover all the bases. So share your favorites the next time you’re waiting for a bite. Remember, the piers the limit when it comes to fishing comedy!