Pickup lines can be a fun and playful way to start a conversation with someone you’re interested in. However, there are definitely some pickup lines out there that are just downright awful. Using a terrible pickup line is more likely to completely turn someone off rather than intrigue them. But some of the worst pickup lines do work.
In this blog post, we’ll go over 100 of the worst pickup lines that should never be used if you want to make a good impression. We’ll also discuss why these pickup lines don’t work and provide some tips for coming up with better lines that can actually help you connect with your crush.
Why Bad Pickup Lines Don’t Work
Before we get into the list, let’s go over some reasons why cheesy, overused and downright inappropriate pickup lines are never a good idea:
- They’re disrespectful. Many bad pickup lines are demeaning, objectifying or make inappropriate assumptions about the person you’re talking to. These kinds of lines show a lack of respect for the other person.
- They make you seem sleazy. Using a tacky pickup line often gives the impression that you’re only interested in sex, rather than getting to know the person. This can be a major turn-off.
- They’re not original. Even if they’re not offensive, overused pickup lines show a lack of creativity and thoughtfulness. Using a tired, generic line shows you’re not putting effort into connecting.
- They’re awkward. Bad pickup lines often rely on over-the-top humor or sexual innuendos that can come across as awkward or uncomfortable, especially when you barely know the person.
The bottom line? Terrible pickup lines give a bad first impression. You want your opening line to intrigue the other person, not weird them out or make them feel objectified.
Now let’s look at 100 pickup lines that should be avoided at all costs.
100 Truly Terrible Pickup Lines
Below are 100 of the very worst pickup lines you could use. We’ve broken them down into categories, like cheesy food pickup lines, overused lines, inappropriate sexual references, and more.
Cheesy Food Pickup Lines
Food pickup lines try to be cute, but they’re often groan-worthy. Here are some food pickup lines that have gone stale:
- Are you a banana? Because I find you a-peeling!
- Are you a box of crayons? ‘Cause you’re the brightest color in the room.
- Are you made of nacho cheese? ‘Cause you look gouda to me!
- Are you a chicken farmer? Because you really know how to raise a cock.
- Are you a baker? Because you’ve got nice buns!
- Are you a banana? Because I find you a-peeling
- Do you like Wendy’s? Cause you and me make a perfect pair!
- Are you a grocery store sample? ‘Cause I want to take you home with me.
- Nice legs, what time do they open?
- Let’s make like a bakery truck and haul buns.
Some pickup lines are so overused and generic they instantly mark you as unoriginal. Here are some pickup lines you should retire:
- Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?
- Are you tired? Cause you’ve been running through my mind all day.
- Do you have a map? I just got lost in your eyes.
- Are you a parking ticket? ‘Cause you’ve got ‘fine’ written all over you.
- Do you believe in love at first sight, or should I walk by again?
- What does it feel like to be the most gorgeous girl in this room?
- I’m not a photographer, but I can picture us together.
- If beauty were time, you’d be eternity.
- I was wondering if you had an extra heart. Mine was just stolen.
- Is your name Google? Because you’re everything I’m searching for.
References to Exes or Crushes
Bringing up your ex or talking about another crush is a quick way to get rejected. Here are some pickup lines that reference the wrong person:
- My ex never treated me as well as you do.
- You look just like my next girlfriend.
- I had a huge crush on you in high school!
- You’re way more fun than my last date.
- I’m so glad I met you instead of my ex.
- My last partner pales in comparison to you.
- You remind me of a girl I liked in college. Want to go out?
- I was hoping you weren’t married, cause I think you’re really beautiful.
- I just went through a bad breakup. Want to help me get over it?
- You’re just my type: cute and not my most recent ex!
Sexual or Offensive
Pickup lines with sexual overtones often cross the line and come across as gross. Never use:
- Do you have a mirror in your pocket? ‘Cause I can see myself in your pants.
- Do you work at Little Caesars? ‘Cause you’re hot and I’m ready.
- Let’s commit the perfect crime: I’ll steal your heart, and you’ll steal mine.
- Is that a keg in your pants? ‘Cause I’d love to tap that ass.
- Let’s make like fabric softener and snuggle.
- For a good time, call [your phone number].
- Let’s play carnival. You sit on my face and I’ll guess how much you weigh.
- Are you my appendix? Because I have a funny feeling in my stomach that makes me feel like I should take you out.
- Nice legs, when do they open?
- Do you like sales? Cause I can give you 100% off tonight.
Some pickup lines try way too hard to be funny and just end up being corny and awkward:
- Did you just come from the dentist? Because you’ve got a perfect set of teeth.
- Do you like raisins? How do you feel about a date?
- Can I follow you home? ‘Cause my mom told me to always follow my dreams.
- Do you know what the Little Mermaid and I have in common? We both want to be part of your world.
- What time do you have to be back in heaven?
- Is your daddy a baker? ‘Cause you have nice buns!
- What do you and the weather have in common? You’re both hot!
- You must be today’s date, because you’re a 10/10!
- Can I have directions? To your heart?
- You must be a broom, ‘cause you just swept me off my feet.
Pickup Lines Based on Appearance
Commenting on someone’s physical appearance right off the bat generally doesn’t go over well. Don’t use:
- You’re so beautiful you made me forget my pickup line.
- I’m not staring at your boobs, I’m staring at your heart (wink wink).
- For a moment I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Now I see that I am very much alive, and heaven has been brought to me.
- No wonder the sky is grey today, all the blue is in your eyes.
- I wanna live in your socks so I can be with you every step of the way.
- You’re like a fine wine. The more of you I drink in, the better I feel.
- I was blinded by your beauty; I’m going to need your name and phone number for insurance purposes.
- You’re so hot, you would make the devil sweat.
- I think there’s something wrong with my phone. Your number isn’t in it.
- Are you a time traveler? Cause I see you in my future.
Nerdy Pickup Lines
Nerdy pickup lines related to math, science and memorizing digits are more likely to elicit cringes than laughs. Avoid:
- What’s your sine? It must be pi/2 because you’re the 1.
- You must be made up of neon and francium because you are a Ne Fr.
- If you were a triangle you’d be acute one!
- You’re sweeter than 3.14159265358979323846…
- Let’s pretend we both have hydrogen bonds so we can form shared electrons and get close.
- You must be the square root of -100 because you’re a solid 10 but also imaginary.
- Our love is like dividing by zero — it cannot be defined.
- I wish I was adenine, because then I could get paired with U.
- I don’t need a protocol droid to know you’re my WAN.
- Your lips look lonely. Would they like to meet mine?
Pickup Lines That Are Just Plain Weird
Some pickup lines just make zero sense or are painfully awkward. For example:
- If you were a vegetable, you’d be a ‘cute-cumber.’
- Do you like magic? Abracadabra. Now you’re single!
- How much does a polar bear weigh? Enough to break the ice!
- I must be dancing with the devil, because you’re hot as hell.
- I’d say, “God bless you,” but he already did.
- If you were a bug, I’d want to be your lady bug.
- I was so enchanted by your beauty that I ran into that wall over there. So I am going to need your name and number for insurance purposes.
- If you were a booger, I’d pick you first.
- Do you have a sunburn, or are you always this hot?
- Feel my t-shirt. You know what that’s made of? Boyfriend material.
Negging Pickup Lines
Insulting or negging someone is never the right approach. Don’t use:
- I’d love to take you out, but I notice your nails look horrible. Maybe another time.
- Nice shirt – did you get dressed in the dark this morning?
- You have a great sense of humor! I didn’t think you looked smart when I first saw you.
- I usually don’t approach plain looking girls like you, but I figured I’d give it a shot.
- No offense, but I don’t normally talk to girls with a bad dye job, but I’m willing to make an exception for you.
- Were you always this ugly, or did you have some bad plastic surgery?
- On a scale from 1 to America’s Next Top Model, you’re maybe a 4.
- With a body like that, you belong in the kitchen. Want to bake me something while I relax?
- I guess you’ll do. Wanna grab coffee?
- Nice nails! Are they fake?
Sexist or Misogynistic Lines
Any pickup line that is overtly sexist or misogynistic automatically makes you a jerk. Never use:
- Nice legs. What time do they open?
- Did your license get suspended for driving all these guys crazy?
- So, what does a beautiful girl like you do for a living? No, let me guess – you’re a model, right?
- For a fat chick, you don’t sweat much.
- Can I buy you a drink or do you just want the money?
- How about I take you home and show you why they call me “Big Poppa”?
- Daaaamn girl! You’re thicker than a bowl of oatmeal!
- Make me a sandwich!
- Slow down girl! You’re not taking a walk run!
- I wish I was your mirror, so that I could look at you every morning.
Why Pickup Lines Are Not the Best Approach
As you can see from these examples, most pickup lines do not make a good first impression. Lines that rely on overused jokes, appearance comments, weird metaphors or offensive stereotypes often backfire.
Rather than using a pickup line when approaching your crush, you’re better off just introducing yourself and starting a real conversation. Ask thoughtful questions that show your interest in their personality and life, not just their looks.
Compliment them on something specific and appropriate, like their style, talents or an accomplishment. Use your genuine personality to connect. Starting an interaction with a cheesy pickup line is usually not the best strategy if you want to get to know someone.
Tips for Approaching Your Crush Without a Pickup Line
Here are some tips for talking to your crush without relying on a corny pickup line:
- Make eye contact and smile. Don’t stare creepily, but do make eye contact for a few seconds to signal you’re interested. Warmly smiling shows you’re friendly.
- Approach politely. Walk up respectfully and keep a reasonable distance. Say something simple like “Hi, my name’s __” or “Hello, I don’t think we’ve met…” Introduce yourself first.
- Find common ground. After introducing yourself, try to establish something you have in common. For example, “I think we’re in the same bio class, right?”
- Give a genuine compliment. If you want to compliment their appearance, keep it simple and tasteful, like “You have a great sense of style.” Complimenting personality is even better.
- Ask engaging questions. “What are you studying here?” “What do you like to do for fun?” Asking open-ended questions shows you’re interested in who they are.
- Watch for signs of interest. If your crush reciprocates smiles, eye contact and questions, it’s a good sign. If they seem standoffish, don’t push it.
- Offer your number. If the conversation is going well, it’s appropriate to say something like “I’ve really enjoyed talking with you, maybe we could exchange numbers?” This leaves it open for them to politely decline if they’re not interested.
The key is to avoid ridiculous pickup lines and keep the focus on genuinely connecting as you get to know each other. With the right balance of friendliness, listening skills and respect, you won’t need any corny pickup lines to make a great first impression. Just be yourself!
Frequently Asked Questions About Pickup Lines
Why do guys use pickup lines?
Some guys use pickup lines because they think it’s a lighthearted way to show they’re interested and break the ice. However, most pickup lines come across as impersonal, disrespectful, or even creepy. Genuine compliments and questions work much better to spark conversation.
Do pickup lines actually work?
Some very clever, thoughtful pickup lines can occasionally work if delivered with the right humor, confidence and most importantly, respect. However, in general, pickup lines are not the most effective strategy for getting someone interested in you – having an authentic conversation works better.
What is the best pickup line to use?
Rather than rely on pickup lines, it’s best to simply introduce yourself confidently, ask engaging questions about their interests, listen attentively to learn more about them, and find sincere common ground. This creates interest based on who you actually are, not a cheesy one-liner.
What are some funny pickup lines?
Humor is subjective, so it’s hard to recommend “funny” pickup lines. Clever puns and lighthearted humor may work for some people. But focus on having an actual conversation, not just telling jokes. Funny anecdotes told once you know each other are better than opening lines.
Should I ask for a number after a pickup line?
It’s better not to use a pickup line at all. But if you do take that approach, wait to ask for a number until you’ve had a real conversation and established some mutual interest. Jumping straight to asking for digits after a pickup line can be very off-putting.
How do you respond to a bad pickup line?
If someone uses a cheesy, inappropriate or negging pickup line on you, you’re not obligated to respond positively. You can ignore them, politely say you’re not interested, or point out the insensitive implications of the line. Don’t feel pressured to entertain bad pickup attempts.
Do pickup lines objectify women?
Some pickup lines do objectify women by making assumptions about their interests, role or appearance. Sexist remarks should be avoided. The best approach is to simply talk to a woman the same friendly, respectful way you would converse with anyone else you want to get to know better.