Bedtime prayers can be a comforting ritual before sleep for many adults. Taking a few quiet moments at the end of a busy day to connect with God and ask for his blessings and protection through the night can bring peace, relaxation, and renewal.
In this comprehensive guide, we provide 100 touching bedtime prayers for adults that you can incorporate into your evening routine. These prayers range from general requests for a peaceful sleep to prayers about specific areas of life needing God’s touch. You’ll find prayers about health, family, relationships, work, and more.
We’ve organized these evening blessings into categories to make them easy to find:
- General Prayers for Peaceful Sleep
- Prayers for Health and Healing
- Prayers for Family
- Prayers about Relationships
- Prayers about Work and Finances
- Prayers in Times of Grief or Struggle
- Psalms for Bedtime
Whether you pray the same prayer every night or like to switch it up, we hope these adult bedtime blessings enhance your connection with God before sleep. The short, meaningful requests recognize God’s power while admitting our humanity and reliance on his grace.
Keep reading for the full list of 100 good night prayers for a blessed, calm evening. At the end, we’ve also included an FAQ section answering some commonly asked questions about bedtime prayers.
General Prayers for Peaceful Sleep
- God, thank you for this day. Calm my thoughts as I sleep so I can rest in your peace. Amen.
- Lord, drive away any lurking fears or worries as I sleep tonight. I trust that you are watching over me. Amen.
- Heavenly Father, guard my home and family while we sleep in your care tonight. Amen.
- God, thank you for blessing me with rest. Renew me both physically and spiritually as I sleep. Amen.
- Lord, ease my cares and worries so I can let go and sleep in your peace that passes all understanding. Amen.
- God, keep me safe through the night. Ease my mind from the struggles of this day and refresh me for tomorrow. Amen.
- Lord, calm my thoughts as I lay down to sleep. Clear my mind that I may enjoy restful hours and awake renewed. Amen.
- God, quiet any anxiety that would keep me awake. Help me release the tensions of the day into your care. Amen.
- Loving Father, hold me close as I drift off to sleep. Guard my mind from fears and fill it with your love. Amen.
- Lord, sweep away the stresses that threaten peaceful slumber. Enfold me in your constant love and care through the night. Amen.
Prayers for Health and Healing
- Father, heal any pain or sickness afflicting my body as I sleep. Knit together what is torn and make me whole. Amen.
- Loving Healer, bring relief where my body aches. Renew my strength that I may serve you well tomorrow. Amen.
- Lord, grant physical and emotional restoration as I sleep. Heal any wound or weakness that steals joy or hinders service. Amen.
- Mighty Physician, diagnose any developing illness before it takes hold. Protect my health for your glory. Amen.
- God, where age advances or illness lingers, halt its progress I pray. Preserve my health to enjoy future days with family. Amen.
- Father God, for conditions beyond curing now, grant patience and endurance. And miracles when you will them. Amen.
- Lord, we pray your healing mercies on loved ones ill or injured now (name them). Bring full restoration in your timing. Amen.
- Abba Father, lift worries about my health from my shoulders into your compassionate care. Trade my anxiety for your peace.
- Jesus, sympathize with where my body suffers tonight. Flood those places with your comfort and power for renewal. Amen.
- Holy Spirit, breathe life throughout my body as I sleep. Inspire divine health, from lungs working to cells regenerating. Amen.
Prayers for Family
- Lord, thank you for how my family reflects the beauty of your Kingdom here on earth. Bless them as we rest tonight.
- Mighty Protector, keep my children (or parents/siblings if no kids) safe while they sleep. Guard their rooms, hearts, and minds. Amen.
- Heavenly Father, where relationships in my family need mending, reveal first steps we can take tomorrow. Amen.
- Prince of Peace, settle any conflict between me and loved ones. Heal hurts through your forgiveness. Amen.
- God, supply the needs of struggling family members, I pray. Meet them powerfully in their time of hardship or lack. Amen.
- Lord, may your steadfast love bind close the bonds in my family. Nurture patience, compassion and joy between us always. Amen.
- Faithful God, calm any loved one tonight dealing with anxiety or depression. Lift despair’s darkness; ignite hope’s flame instead. Amen.
- Merciful Savior, guard my children from fears real and imagined tonight. Surround them with courage and cheer. Amen.
- Lord, guide the dreams of my loved ones tonight with visions of your glory. Inspire them through restful sleep. Amen.
- Abba Father, thank you for godly mentors and teachers invested in my family’s growth. Multiply their influence in our lives. Amen.
Prayers about Relationships
- Father God, nurture patience, respect and joy in my marriage. Heal any division; unite our hearts in your love. Amen.
- Lord, where my significant relationship needs renewal, reveal first steps to take together tomorrow. Amen.
- Jesus, mend any hurt I have caused loved ones and grant wisdom in avoiding unnecessary conflicts. Amen.
- God, teach me to love the lonely, encourage the struggling, and invite new people into fellowship with me. Amen.
- Lord, bless friends facing hardship now with strength and perseverance until their trial ends. Surround them with our loving support. Amen.
- Mighty God, protect my unsaved friends from the enemy’s schemes. Open their hearts to receive Christ’s redemption. Amen.
- Gracious God, bless my efforts in new relationships with patience and wisdom. Guide us both to know when to proceed or part ways. Amen.
- Merciful Father, where a relationship has ended painfully, heal the wounds for both sides in your time. Replace bitterness with forgiveness through Christ Jesus. Amen.
- Lord, unify your worldwide Church across barriers of distance, languages and cultures. Make us one as Jesus prayed. Amen.
- Faithful God, deepen my roots in this community of believers. Open my eyes to more opportunities to love and serve. Amen.
Prayers about Work and Finances
- Lord, renew my passion for my daily work. Sharpen skills needing improvement and help me find meaning despite frustrations. Amen.
- Gracious Provider, supply my financial needs for current bills and expenses. Teach me faithful stewardship of these temporary resources. Amen.
- God, bless my business or career. Favor it with growth, ethical practices and positive impact on community. Amen.
- Mighty Creator, energize inventors and leaders pioneering solutions to global problems in medicine, technology, poverty and more by your wisdom. Amen.
- Lord, guide young adults entering the workforce now in choices aligned with their convictions and gifts. Open doors you want them to walk through with bold faith. Amen.
- God, reveal any poor financial decisions I can correct tomorrow. Demonstrate your desire for me to wisely steward money and time for maximum Kingdom impact. Amen.
- Heavenly Father, protect anyone searching for employment from discouragement. Provide the right job opportunity soon where their passion and talent find reward. Amen.
- Lord, dissolve the despair of those unable to work due to disability or age. Provide for their practical needs through government aid or your people’s generosity. Amen.
- Jesus, lift worries about bills, loans and other financial pressures off my shoulders tonight. In their place, ignite hope and reliance on you, my ultimate Provider. Amen.
- Holy Spirit, inspire creative solutions to address lack plaguing families and communities locally and globally. Mobilize your Church to give and serve as your hands. Amen.
Prayers in Times of Grief or Struggle
- Lord, hold me close through this painful season of loss. Comfort my sorrow; carry me when the burden overwhelms. Amen.
- Mighty Counselor, renew my perspective; reveal unhealthy thought patterns that prolong sadness. Free me to process grief in doses I can bear. Amen.
- Abba Father, while grief often wells up when I least expect it, surround me with patient comforters offering hope-filled words you prompt them to share. Amen.
- Gracious God, thank you for cherished memories that even death cannot steal. Sustain me with the resurrection’s promise of reunion ahead. Amen.
- Lord, lift my elderly mother navigating widowhood (or fill in the blank) from loneliness tonight. Surround her with family’s loving presence. Amen.
- Heavenly Father, guard my heart when reminders ignite fresh waves of grief over my loss. In time, replace painful memories with joyful ones. Amen.
- Prince of Peace, settle my restless soul after traumatic events relived today. Quiet nightmares; grant soothing sleep instead. Amen.
- Restoring God, mend what disappointment, failure or sin try to break in me. Reshape weakness into beauty; replace despair with purpose. Amen.
- Lord, lift anxiety’s heaviness; fuel steadfast hope. And when emotions overwhelm, listen patiently as I voice pain or anger or remorse you understand. Amen.
- King Jesus, rule the inner regions of my heart battered by affliction. Restore wholeness and reign righteously in me. Amen.
Psalms for Bedtime
The Book of Psalms powerfully captures the full range of human emotion. Many express cries for help, relief or justice along with praise to God. Let these ancient poems spark fresh faith and reliance on the Almighty as sleep nears.
- Let your unfailing love surround me, Lord, for my hope is in you alone. (Psalm 32:10)
- Answer me when I call, O God who declares me righteous. Free me from distress. Have mercy on me and hear my prayer. (Psalm 4:1)
- I lay down and sleep in peace, O Lord, for you alone keep me safe. (Psalm 4:8)
- Lord, you bless the righteous. You surround them with your favor like a shield. (Psalm 5:12)
- I call on you, O God, for you will answer me. Turn your ear to me; hear my prayer. Guard me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings. (Psalm 17:6-8)
- Lord, be my rock of refuge, a fortress where I will be safe. For you are my rock and my fortress. Guide me and lead me for the sake of your good name. (Psalm 31:2-4)
- Let your light scatter the darkness and illuminate your paths, O God. (Psalm 43:3)
- God, your love reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies. Your righteousness is like the highest mountains. Save us, Loving Father. (Psalm 36:5, 37:40)
- My health may fail and my spirit grow weak, but you, O God, remain my portion forever. (Psalm 73:26)
- Shelter me, O God. I trust in you. You are my Lord; all good things come from you. (Psalm 16:1, 73:28)
- Into your hands I commit my spirit, O Lord, my faithful God. (Psalm 31:5)
- I lie down and sleep in peace, O God, for you alone make me dwell in safety. (Psalm 4:8)
- I will both lie down and sleep in peace; you alone, O LORD, make me lie down in safety. (Psalm 4:8)
- In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, LORD, make me dwell in safety. (Psalm 4:8)
- I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety. (Psalm 4:8)
- You, LORD, will keep me safe and secure. I will lie down and sleep in peace. (Psalm 4:8)
- I say my prayers and lie down to sleep in peace, O God, for you keep me perfectly safe. (Psalm 4:8)
- Because you are my helper, I can lie down and sleep in peace through the night. (Psalm 4:8)
- I lie down and sleep in peace at night, LORD, because you surround me with your protection. (Psalm 4:8)
- Thank you for your promises, O LORD, that allow me to lie down and sleep in heavenly peace. (Psalm 4:8)
- Praise be to you, LORD, for you give me peace of mind so I can sleep untroubled tonight. (Psalm 4:8)
- LORD, your presence comforts me so I can relax into peaceful sleep, resting in your care. (Psalm 4:8)
- I say “Good night” to the cares of the day and turn them over to you, O God, as I lie calmly down to sleep. (Psalm 4:8, Peter 5:7))
- Because the LORD sustains me always, I will lack no good thing—including the blessing of untroubled sleep tonight. (Psalm 84:11)
- Remind me of your steadfast love in the morning, O God, for I trust in you and will rest peacefully through the night. (Psalm 143:8)
- Into your hands I commit my spirit; you have redeemed me, O LORD, God of truth. I will lie down and sleep; I wake again because the LORD sustains me. (Psalm 31:5)
- LORD, you alone are my portion and my cup; you make my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. I will praise the LORD who counsels me—even at night my heart instructs me. I keep my eyes always on the LORD. With him at my right hand I will not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure. (Psalm 16:5-9)
- Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer. From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe. I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings. For you, God, have heard my vows; you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name. Increase the days of the king’s life, his years for many generations. May he be enthroned in God’s presence forever; appoint your love and faithfulness to protect him. Then I will ever sing in praise of your name and fulfill my vows day after day. (Psalm 61)
- Truly my soul finds rest in God; my salvation comes from him. Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken. Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge. (Psalm 62:1-2, 5-8)
- Answer me when I call to you, my righteous God. Give me relief from my distress; have mercy on me and hear my prayer. Know that the Lord has set apart his faithful servant for himself. I call out to the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies. The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me. Lord, your love is as high as the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the clouds. Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let your glory be over all the earth so that those you love may be delivered. Save us by your right hand and reply, that those you love may be kept safe. As for God, his way is perfect: The Lord’s word is flawless; he shields all who take refuge in him. For who is God besides the Lord? And who is the Rock except our God? It is God who arms me with strength and keeps my way secure. He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he causes me to stand on the heights. (Psalm 18:3, 20:6, 36:5, 57:2,18:2, 30-33)
- Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness! You have freed me from distress; be gracious to me now and hear my prayer. In peace I will both lie down and sleep, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety. (Psalm 4: 1,8)
- LORD, through all generations you have been our home! Before the mountains were born, before you gave birth to the earth you have existed. Lord make me have blessed night rest.
- I lift up my eyes to the mountains—where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip—he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord watches over you—the Lord is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The Lord will keep you from all harm—he will watch over your life. (Psalm 121).
- Praise the Lord, my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the Lord, my soul, and forget not all his benefits—who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion. The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love. He will not always accuse, nor will he harbor his anger forever; he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us. As a father has compassion on his children,so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him; for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust. (Psalm 103:1-6, 8-14).
- He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust.” Surely he will save you from the fowler’s snare and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday. (Psalm 91:1-6).
- The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. (Psalm 23).
- But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing the Lord’s praise, for he has been good to me. (Psalm 13:5-6).
- Keep me safe, my God, for in you I take refuge. I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing.” I say of the holy people who are in the land, “They are the noble ones in whom is all my delight.” (Psalm 16:1-3)
- Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life. (Psalm 143:8)
- My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the Lord; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God…Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked…For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless. Lord Almighty, blessed is the one who trusts in you. (Psalm 84:2, 10, 11-12)
What are some benefits of bedtime prayers?
Some benefits of closing the day with prayer and practicing prayer at bedtime include:
- Inviting God’s peace that relieves stress from the day and quietens your mind before sleep. This can improve sleep quality.
- Inspiring feelings of gratitude by thanking God for blessings and graces from the day just ended.
- Seeking protection for yourself and loved ones through the night hours
- Renewing your spirit through intimacy with God in prayer
- Voicing hopes or releasing burdens from your heart relieves emotional heaviness so you can rest
- Praying God’s Word reminds you of his faithfulness, power and constant watchful presence
When is the best time for bedtime prayers?
Many people find praying right before climbing into bed most natural, but timing can vary. Those with young children may lift up family prayers after little ones go to bed. Other good options include while putting on pajamas, brushing teeth, or relaxing into pillows. Choose whatever habit works to build consistency.
What topics are good to pray about before sleeping?
Some good topics include asking forgiveness for sins, praying for your loved ones, thanking God for blessings that day, asking Him to guard your mind and home while you rest, seeking healing or help with hard situations, praying for a peaceful sleep void of fear.
What prayers encourage restful sleep?
Prayers that engage with Scripture assurances of God’s presence and peace, protection and care can dissipate stress and invite rest. The Psalms have great examples of cries for help, declarations of trust despite threats, thanksgivings for past blessings and salvation. You can simply pray Scripture verses back to God.
Is it okay to pray laying down in bed?
Yes, it is absolutely fine to pray while positioning your body for sleep – whether kneeling by your bed, laying in bed or seated somewhere comfortable. God cares more about the posture of your heart than body.
Why pray before bed instead of morning?
Praying both morning and evening has benefits, but ending your day conversing with your Heavenly Father and leaving worries or requests with Him allows peace and perspectives reminding you of His presence through the long hours ahead even when dreams occupy your mind.
Don’t many people fall asleep while praying in bed anyway?
Fighting off sleep to get through a lengthy prayer time can actually create stress reducing your rest. Keep evening prayers short and simple. Focus on priorities for your family, confessions that clear your conscience or lifting specific burdens into God’s hands through Scripture. Then relax and rest, assured of His care.
In closing, I pray God will take these suggested bedtime prayers and craft through his Holy Spirit prayers perfectly fitted for your needs each evening. May your relationship with him deepen through this special time together in the quiet moments before sleep claims you. Sleep well, beloved!