The back to school season can be an exciting yet stressful time for both parents and children. As a parent, you want your kids to have a successful school year, one full of learning, growth and positive experiences. One of the best ways to set them up for success is through prayer. Prayer helps calm anxious hearts, builds faith and connects us to God’s power and peace.
With 100 prayers specifically for the back-to-school season, you can cover every area of need in your child’s life. Pray for their classes, teachers, friendships, activities, health, safety and more. Not only will this benefit your kids, it will also ease your own worries as a parent. Knowing that God is watching over your children will give you comfort and confidence.
Below are 100 prayers divided into key categories to pray over your kids this back-to-school season.
100 Prayers For Back To School Season to Keep Your Children Safe
Prayers for Academic Success
- Lord, I pray my child works hard and gives their best effort in all their classes. Help them stay focused and motivated even when tasks seem difficult or boring.
- Father God, I pray my child understands what they are taught in school. Help them retain the information and apply it. Sharpen their minds so they can learn effectively.
- Lord, I pray my child gets along well with their teachers. Help them show respect, obedience and enthusiasm for learning.
- God, I pray my child develops effective study habits this year. Help them be consistent, organized and proactive with studying, projects and test preparation.
- Father, I pray my child handles the work load well and doesn’t become too stressed or burnt out. Help them manage their time wisely.
- Lord, I pray my child avoids the temptation to cheat or take inappropriate shortcuts. Instill in them strong character and integrity.
- God, I pray my child sets challenging but realistic academic goals. Help them think about plans for higher education. Give them wisdom and guidance for the future.
- Lord, I pray my child discovers their talents, interests and giftings this school year. Open their eyes to new possibilities.
- Father God, I pray my child grows in knowledge and understanding across all subjects. Expand their mind and feed their curiosity.
- Lord, I pray my child develops a lifelong love of learning. Help education be enjoyable, not a chore. Inspire them to keep growing intellectually.
Prayers for Teachers
- God, I pray my child is taught by effective teachers who care about their students and love what they do. Bless the educators who influence my child.
- Lord, I pray my child’s teachers get to know my child personally and understand how they learn best. Help them take an active interest.
- Father, I pray my child’s teachers are filled with patience, wisdom and dedication. Help them set a positive example for students.
- God, I pray my child’s teachers maintain passion and enthusiasm for their job. When they feel tired or overwhelmed, renew their spirits.
- Lord, I pray my child’s teachers feel appreciated and supported. Put people in their lives who encourage them in and outside the classroom.
- Father God, I pray my child learns important life lessons from teachers, not just academics. Place mentors in their life who impart wisdom.
- God, I pray my child receives any additional help or tutoring needed to keep up. Provide support staff and programs to fill in the gaps.
- Lord, I pray my child has a safe environment in every classroom. Protect them from any verbal or physical bullying from teachers or staff.
- Father, I pray all school employees model integrity, kindness, self-control and other fruits of the spirit. Help them impact students for good.
- God, I pray teachers discipline fairly and appropriately. Help them take the right approach with each unique child.
Prayers for Friendships
- Lord, I pray my child develops meaningful friendships this school year. Surround them with trustworthy peers who bring out the best in them.
- Father God, I pray my child is welcoming and inclusive to all their classmates. Help them avoid cliques and see value in each person.
- God, I pray my child is a good friend to others. Make them kind, loyal and thoughtful. Help them put others before themselves.
- Lord, I pray my child handles conflict with friends appropriately. Teach them how to communicate, forgive and restore damaged relationships.
- Father, I pray my child stands up for classmates who are bullied or mistreated. Give them compassion and courage to defend those in need.
- God, I pray my child finds friends who share similar values and interests. Give them things in common and help them form natural connections.
- Lord, I pray my child’s friendships lead to personal growth. May their choice of friends sharpen them into a better person.
- Father God, I pray my child stays away from peers who pressure them to make bad choices. Give them discernment to recognize unhealthy relationships.
- God, I pray my child feels accepted by their peers. Protect them from exclusion, rejection or bullying.
- Lord, I pray my child uses technology appropriately when communicating with friends. Help them avoid gossip, drama or inappropriate content.
Prayers for Activities
- God, I pray my child finds activities they genuinely enjoy such as sports, clubs or hobbies. Help them explore and develop their interests.
- Lord, I pray my child learns teamwork, discipline and perseverance through extracurriculars. Shape their character through these programs.
- Father, I pray my child discovers and uses their gifts and talents through activities. Help them gain confidence in themselves.
- God, I pray my child works hard in activities without defining themselves by achievements. Remind them of their inherent value.
- Lord, I pray my child has supportive coaches, leaders and teammates who treat them well. Put positive role models in their life.
- Father God, I pray my child avoids injury or illness that could impact activities they enjoy. Keep their bodies strong and healthy.
- God, I pray my child manages their time well so activities don’t negatively affect academics. Help them find balance and prioritize wisely.
- Lord, I pray my child can afford any equipment or fees required for activities. Provide financially if needed.
- Father, I pray my child learns how to handle disappointment such as being cut from teams or losing competitions. Build resilience and perspective.
- God, I pray activities add joy and growth to my child’s life. Protect them from burnout, pressure or anxiety.
Prayers for Back-to-School Health
- Father God, I pray my child eats nutritious foods to fuel their body and mind. Help them develop healthy habits.
- Lord, I pray my child gets enough physical activity and sleep each day. Help them understand the importance of taking care of themselves.
- God, I pray my child maintains good hygiene practices at school such as hand washing. Keep viruses and germs away.
- Father, I pray my child avoids risk taking behaviors such as substance abuse, sexual activity or reckless activities. Help them make wise choices.
- Lord, I pray my child feels confident in their changing body. For girls, make periods something positive, not embarrassing.
- God, I pray my child uses wise discretion in friendships. Give them courage to stand against peer pressure.
- Father God, I pray my child has a positive body image, not comparing themselves to others. Remind them how wonderfully You made them.
- Lord, I pray my child avoids excessive screen time each day. Help them find balance and take frequent breaks.
- God, I pray my child practices self-care when they feel overwhelmed or anxious. Guide them to good coping strategies.
- Father, I pray my child receives any medical or counseling care needed to thrive. Provide resources to treat health concerns.
Prayers for Back-to-School Safety
- Lord, I pray my child travels safely to and from school each day. Keep accidents and danger away from their paths.
- Father God, I pray my child feels physically and emotionally safe at school. Remove any threats of violence, bullying, or unhealthy environments.
- God, I pray my child follows rules and makes smart decisions to avoid danger. Help them stay alert and aware of their surroundings.
- Lord, I pray my child takes proper precautions around strangers. Remind them to be vigilant and to avoid high risk situations.
- Father, I pray my child behaves appropriately on school buses. Make them respectful to drivers and kind to other students.
- God, I pray teachers, counselors and staff protect students from unhealthy relationships and abuse. Expose any darkness so it can be stopped.
- Lord, I pray my child avoids risky social media connections. Help them be wise in who they interact with online.
- Father God, I pray my child resists negative peer pressure and dangerous behaviors such as drugs, alcohol or sexual activity. Strengthen them to make right choices.
- God, I pray my child practices internet safety. Keep dangerous people, content and scams away from them online. Help them avoid sharing private information.
- Lord, I pray my child handles themselves well in emergency drills at school. If disaster strikes, keep them calm and protected.
General Prayers for School
- God, I pray this school year brings growth, learning and happiness for my child. Help them flourish and make the most of opportunities.
- Lord, I pray my child starts each school day with a positive attitude. Regardless of how they feel, help them be kind to others.
- Father, I pray my child learns to give their worries and anxieties to You consistently throughout the school year. Remind them to release burdens in prayer.
- God, I pray my child follows rules at school with a spirit of humility and cooperation. Help them see the value in respecting authority.
- Lord, I pray my child handles transition times well such as passing periods or lunch breaks. Prevent them from making unwise choices with unstructured time.
- Father God, I pray my child stands up for justice and morality at school. Give them courage to do what’s right even when it’s hard.
- God, I pray my child forgives quickly when offended. Protect their hearts from resentment, bitterness and holding grudges.
- Lord, I pray my child avoids distractions in class. Help them give teachers their full attention and avoid side conversations or horseplay.
- Father, I pray my child completes classwork and homework diligently. Motivate them to give their best effort and turn work in on time.
- God, I pray my child communicates struggles they are facing at school. Give them words to express concerns and seek help when needed.
Prayers for Finances
- Lord, I pray my child has the school supplies and equipment they need. Provide financially so nothing is lacking.
- Father God, I pray my child’s meals are paid for if they receive reduced cost or free lunch. Remove any shame or embarrassment.
- God, I pray my child can participate in activities and sports regardless of financial challenges. Open doors and provide funds where needed.
- Lord, I pray my child has access to programs such as tutoring, counseling or learning support. Provide these resources if my family cannot pay.
- Father, I pray my child qualifies for any grants, scholarships or financial aid available for higher education. Make ways for dreams to be fulfilled.
- God, I pray my child avoids feeling pressure to fit in or keep up with trends based on other family’s finances. Protect their hearts from pride or inadequacy.
- Lord, I pray my child has reliable transportation to school each day whether from me or the school bus. Prevent any car issues or bus problems that could make them late.
- Father God, I pray my child handles not having as many clothes, gadgets or privileges as classmates with grace. Grow their heart in contentment.
- God, I pray my child is generous with their own possessions. Make them willing to share with those in need.
- Lord, I pray my child works diligently in their academics to take advantage of scholarship opportunities in the future. Motivate them to maximize gifts and talents.
Prayers About School Anxiety
- God, comfort my child when they feel anxious about school. Speak peace over their mind and heart. Build their trust in You.
- Lord, I pray my child hands worries over to You whenever emotions feel overwhelming. Remind them to release burdens in prayer.
- Father, give my child confidence to face each school day. When nerves rise up, calm them with Your steady presence.
- God, I pray my child casts their cares upon You when they feel afraid. You promise to sustain them, help them remember that.
- Lord, I pray my child takes thoughts captive when the enemy whispers lies that school is too hard or peers are too mean. Silence those lies with Your truth.
- Father God, I pray my child leans on You when challenges arise at school. Fix their eyes on You, not the swirling storms.
- God, I pray my child brings prayers and petitions to You when they feel unsure how to handle problems at school. Give them wisdom and clarity for each unique situation.
- Lord, I pray my child moves forward in courage, not fear. Empower them to do what is right regardless of outside pressures or approval.
- Father, I pray my child handles transitions well throughout the school year. Minimize anxiety around changes such as new classes, teachers or peers.
- God, help my child release the need to control. Teach them to find freedom in surrendering outcomes to You. Build their trust in Your goodness.
Prayers for Decision Making
- Father God, I pray my child makes wise choices at school when faced with temptation or confusion. Give them clarity and courage to do what is right in Your eyes.
- Lord, I pray my child runs decisions through the grid of Your Word. Let scripture guide them when navigating gray areas.
- God, I pray my child seeks You first when making decisions. Align their heart with Yours before acting.
- Father, I pray my child listens to the voice of the Holy Spirit within when weighing options. Give them the gift of discernment.
- Lord, I pray my child considers how decisions impact their character, integrity and testimony. Help them live intentionally.
- God, I pray my child stands out as one who makes right choices at school. Give them moral courage and boldness. Set them apart.
- Father God, I pray my child handles peer pressure well when deciding what to do or how to act at school. Give them steadfast conviction.
- Lord, remind my child actions have consequences when they are tempted to make harmful choices. Awaken their sense of self-control.
- God, I pray my child evaluates choices through the lens of how it impacts relationships with family, friends and You. Soften their hearts toward others.
- Father, I pray my child leans on You when decisions feel hard or unclear. Thank you for being their wisdom and guide.
Covering your child in prayer is one of the most powerful ways you can help them have a great school experience. Speak blessings of peace, hope, joy, favor and purpose over them daily. Doing so can influence their perspective, outlook and decisions. It also allows you to actively participate in what God is doing in their lives. While kids grow more independent as they get older, your prayers for them remain essential and impactful.
As the school year progresses, continue to bring specific needs before God. Pray through struggles or disappointments they face. Celebrate answers to prayer and growth you see happening. Ask the Holy Spirit to open your eyes to pray for your child in ways that line up with God’s will, dreams and purposes for their life. He has beautiful plans for them, and your prayers help pave the way for all He desires to do this school year!
Here are some common questions people ask regarding prayers for the back to school season:
What are the most important things I should pray for my child at the start of a new school year?
Some of the key things to pray for are your child’s:
- Academic preparedness and motivation
- Positive friendships and peer relationships
- Physical, emotional, mental and spiritual health
- Safety in classrooms, hallways, buses, etc.
- Wise decision making abilities
- Help with any anxiety, fears or worries
- Teachers and staff who care about students
- Study habits and learning skills
- Confidence and resilience
Covering these major areas through prayer helps set your child up for success.
How often should I pray for my child once the school year starts?
Ideally, you’ll want to pray for your child on a daily basis throughout the school year. Praying Scripture over them in the morning is a great way to start their day on a positive note. You can also pray for specific needs as they arise or shoot up quick prayers throughout the day. Establishing a habit of praying for your child often keeps them covered in God’s peace, wisdom and favor.
What prayers from your list should I prioritize if I’m short on time?
If you only have time to pray a few, focus on praying for God’s protection over your child as well as prayers for them to feel loved, accepted, confident and full of purpose. Claim scriptures about who they are in Christ and their identity as a beloved child of God. Those foundational prayers will lift their spirits and remind them of what’s most important regardless of other circumstances.
How can I pray for unbelieving friends my child will interact with at school?
It’s great to pray your child is a light on campus and uses their influence to point peers towards Christ. Ask God to soften the hearts of unbelievers so they are receptive to hearing truth. Pray your child has courage to stand up for their faith when needed. Ask God to bring other strong Christian friends across their path as well. Praying for both boldness and discernment for your child are key when interacting with unbelievers.
Should I pray about school events like standardized testing, picture day, field trips, etc?
Definitely! Major school events big and small are great to bring before God in prayer. Ask Him to help your child handle tests without anxiety. Pray they make positive memories on field trips. Ask for quick technical issues to be resolved on picture day. Even praying for focus, calm and confidence on what may seem like minor days goes a long way. It reminds your child that every part of their life matters to God.
What prayers can I pray for my child’s future beyond this school year?
Pray for God to start revealing His purposes, gifts, talents and calling on your child’s life. Ask Him to develop interests and skills that align with His plans for them. Pray for wisdom about higher education and career choices when the time comes. Ask God to prepare them now for their future adult life and use them to impact the world for Christ. Praying boldly about their future will help build their faith and perspective.
How can I pray for my child’s life at school to point others to Jesus?
Ask God to make your child a light in the darkness at school through their actions, attitudes, words and choices. Pray they look for opportunities to show kindness that stands out. Ask God to embolden your child to speak truth when situations arise. Pray your child is different in a way that draws questions and curiosity. Ask God to use your child mightily in the lives of peers and school staff who don’t know Jesus yet.
What promise of Scripture can I claim in prayer over my child this school year?
There are so many powerful promises you can pray over your child! A few good ones include:
- “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11
- “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9
- “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7
Claiming God’s personal and powerful promises from Scripture builds your child’s faith and reliance on Him. It reminds them that He is for them and with them always.