Key Performance Benefits:
• FEA-optimized front and rear-specific rim profiles (28mm internal front, 26mm internal rear) to achieve optimal front and rear wheel attributes
• Alloy material upgraded to 6069-T6 (69% higher Ultimate Tensile Strength compared to 6061-T6) to offer class-leading impact resistance
• 1693 grams system weight with increased width and strength than before
• RapidEngage hub set with 6-Pawl 3X2 system offering 5° engagement angle
Tulsi Bakrania racing HUNT XC Wide (V3) in Rd 4 British Cycling National XC Series. Photo: Nick Bentley
Engineered, designed and tested by an in-house team based in the UK, HUNT Wheels today announced the all-new HUNT XC Wide alloy wheelset. While the name remains, the third iteration of the HUNT XC Wide was created from the ground up to meet the evolving needs of modern XC riders and racers and was developed using cutting-edge FEA modeling techniques along with extensive input from elite cross-country athletes. FEA (Finite Element Analysis) capabilities allow HUNT design engineers to refine the rim extrusion profile in detail, taking into account variables such as rim wall and bead thickness, profile radius, and spoke bed reinforcement to design a lightweight rim with the optimal amount of material in key areas to achieve the desired weight, ride quality and durability.
Over 6 weeks of FEA modeling at HUNT HQ in West Sussex went into the development of the new XC Wide.
FEA Optimized Rim Profiles
After approximately 300 hours of FEA modeling on each rim, the HUNT team created unique front and rear-specific rim profiles to achieve the ideal performance characteristics for each tire’s specific role. The XC Wide wheelset boasts a 28mm front rim internal width and 26mm rear rim internal width, dimensions chosen to optimize performance with modern XC tires from 2.2 to 2.4 inches. The front rim is designed to offer compliance and a wide tire profile for increased traction under hard cornering, while the rear rim is designed to handle the greater part of the rider’s weight and all the forces of the pedal acceleration while resisting the increased punishment of rock strikes and impacts are produced on the rear of the bike.
The graph above records the amount of energy required to damage a set of alloy rims. The black bar records the energy needed to show the first signs of damage, while the gray graph records the amount of energy required for the rim to fail and become unrideable. The higher the number, the greater the amount of energy needed to record the damage.
To pack more performance into an already well-known HUNT product, the engineering team upgraded the selected alloy material to 6069-T6 alloy, which offers a 25% increase in fatigue and impact strength compared to 6066-T6 alloy construction of the previous model, and a 69% improvement over 6061-T6 alloys, as used in many other rims on the market. After an extensive engineering process, the wheelset has been thoroughly tested in the HUNT UK lab to verify class-leading impact resistance over relevant competitor ranges. The new rims feature a work-hardened, shot-peened matte black finish that enhances strength for longevity and season-spanning reliability. Laser-etched graphics won’t peel, crack or fade over time.
Fast Catchy Hubs
At the heart of the XC Wide is the engineered RapidEngage freehub, with a 6-pawl, 3X2 alternating system that engages a 36-tooth drive ring, providing a quick 5° engagement angle. HUNT’s durable H_CERAMIK coating increases hardness and resists cassette gouging when subjected to hard pedal forces. With both boost and standard hub spacing options, the XC Wide is built to withstand every season of cross-country trails with minimal maintenance. Hubs are easily customizable with optional end caps, providing compatibility with any current standard. The CNC machined 6-bolt disc mounting interface adds versatility to suit all your XC riding and racing needs. The XC Wide wheelset is built with precision-sealed replaceable cartridge bearings, offering an easy-to-maintain solution without compromising longevity. Equipped with large diameter ball bearings and dual full-contact rubber seals, these bearings are built to withstand the toughest conditions, ensuring maximum durability and reliability.
Only 1693g for the complete wheelset.
Handbuilt, Every Detail Considered
The wheels are hand fitted with high quality J-bend cold-drawn spokes. The front and rear wheels use 28 Pillar Spokes made of Sandvik T302 (18/10) stainless steel. These are triple-butted (dimensions 2.0mm-1.6mm-2.0mm, with patented Pillar Spoke Re-enforcement, increased diameter of 2.2mm at the spoke head) spokes, which offer incredible long life belief. The anodised alloy nipples help reduce the overall weight further while allowing for stress-free maintenance if required.
The result is a lightweight yet modern wide XC wheelset that tips the scales at just 1693 grams while providing all the strength and durability required for your next race, alpine adventure or long distance. Like all HUNT tires, the new XC Wide is backed by a 3-year warranty, 60-day ride and return policy, best-in-class rider support, and comes pre-taped and valved for with easy exit to the -box tubeless set-up.
Made for racing, training, and exploring.
HUNT XC Wide (V2) specifications.
• Rims: 28mm inner width front, 26mm inner width rear. Constructed from 6069 T6 alloy. Tubeless-ready with rim tape and valves included. Matt black work-hardened shot-peened finish with laser-etched graphics for added durability.
• Axes: Boost – 148x12mm (Rear) with 110x15mm (Front). 141x9mm (Rear) QR with 110x9mm (Front) QR adapters and Rock Shox Torque Caps available.
• spoke: J-bend cold drawn for ease of replacement. 28 spoke count for front and rear. Pillar Spokes made of Sandvik T302 (18/10) stainless steel. Triple butted 2.0-1.6-2.0 (2.2 in the head for the patented Pillar Spoke Re-enforcement). Black stainless treatment.
• Nipples: Hard-anodised alloy for weight reduction and strength. Square body for external adjustment and hex head for easy internal adjustment/tensioning. Long 14mm thread for durability. 14 gauge.
• Front Hub: Engineered with durable bearings and 7075-T6 series alloy axle for increased stiffness, performance, and durability.
• Rear hub: Extruded and CNC machined 6066-T6 heat-treated aluminum alloy hub body. Available in 148x12mm or 142x12mm spacing. Features H_CERAMIK freehub body reinforcement coating for superior durability and protection against cassette sprocket damage. Boost QR skewers not provided. 6 pawl, 3×2, with 36 teeth RapidEngage freehub with an engagement angle of only 5 degrees. Large 7075-T6 heat-treated aluminum axle.
• Bearings: Sealed replaceable cartridge bearings with free-flowing, large-diameter ball bearings for durability and low rolling resistance.
• Tire Width: Suitable for tires between 1.6in – 2.6in but optimized for tires between 2.2in -2.4in.
• Size: Available in 29in only.
• Weight: 1693g.
• Price: £379 | $479 | €499
The HUNT XC Wide wheelset is available and ready to ship to riders worldwide today at huntbikewheels.com.
#Hunt #Wheels #Announces #Wide #Alloy #Wheelset #Pinkbike